You are hereKeci Buku to Datca - Day 52 - 18th September

Keci Buku to Datca - Day 52 - 18th September


By pshipley - Posted on 18 September 2009

Today was pretty uneventful if you call 33.5knt winds, 'strong breeze', which a certain Mr Beaufort thought was an appropriate term for a wailing banshee.  Lets put it this way, I would not put a cat out in 33.5knts and I'm not particularly keen on cats.  I'm sure the RSPCA would have strong words with me if I did put out the hypothetical cat, in return I would have strong words with Mr Beaufort - and I would kick his cat.

 

Things really did start off pretty uneventfully - had a chat via Skype with my old boss, upped anchor at around 10 and had a lovely sail until about lunch time when suddenly the winds shifted 60 degrees and it became hard to go straight to Datca and we were into tacking for England territory.  To give you some idea how much tacking we had to do - the plan was to do around 20nm, we ended up doing 31nm, more than 50% more miles per plan.  You can see why I quit Project Management, my initial estimate was half what it should have been, clients don't like that kind of 'margin of error', but then they never had to sail from Keci Buku to Datca.

 

By late afternoon things were hotting up, well rather cooling down - the wind chill was kicking in seriously and Erica resorted to Blanket.  When we set off there appeared to be many boats heading in a similar direction, but by now they had all fallen away execpt 3 hard core nutters, us, a German boat and an Austrian boat - obviously I was not going to be the first to call it a day.

 

The Austrian boat and us were pretty evenly matched speed-wise, which considering he was about 20 foot shorter than us, reflected on his superior seamanship.  The German came from nowhere, whilst we were heavily reefed, Mr Deutschland was sailing horizontally.  It meant that he was zipping along at a speed comensurate with their pulse rate.

 

Eventually the Germans did a massive broach and suddenly they rolled in their sails and decided to motor the rest of the way.  Admittedly we had had our toe rail in the water, no mean feat which honestly the kids don't want me to repeat.  We waited about 10 minutes and then rolled in our sails to motor the last 2 miles.

 

Austria sailed all of the way and won the day - they arrived about 2 beers after we did, so it was a pretty hollow victory.

 The German boat shortly before his near roll - the Austrians in the background

 

Post new comment

Navigation