You are hereSimi - Days 63 & 64 - 29th & 30th September 2009

Simi - Days 63 & 64 - 29th & 30th September 2009

By pshipley - Posted on 30 September 2009

We finally set sail from Nisyros after 3 days.  When I say set sail that is a bit of an exaggeration, there was no wind which has been unusual of late.


The plan was to head to Simi, Symi, Syme, take you pick on today's spelling, and the main harbour there, but we had heard that it can be difficult to get into.  Instead we were told of a fantastic bay called Panormitis towards the south of the island, so we made this our objective.


True enough, when we arrived the bay fulfilled the wild outlandish claims heaped upon it.  The water was still, turquoise and the sandy bottom could easily be seen.  There were few boats in the bay and so I picked a plum spot right in the middle of the bay in front of the fantastic Monastery of the Archangel Michael.

The monastery was last remodelled in the 1870's on the Venetian style and is the only building of significance in the bay, dominating the landscape.


 The next morning, after visiting the monks at work, we tried to get a bus or taxi to Simi town.  Unfortunately there was nothing happening on the taxi front, and the bus was a 2 hour wait plus 1 hour transit time.  We decided to take a flyer and sail around, if we couldn't moor in the harbour then we had heard of another bay nearby that was supposed to be good.


Like yesterday the wind was not playing again  - we did try to sail but the engine was off for a maximum of 15 minutes on the 14nm journey.


I was so busy reading my book - The Hunt for Red October - that I completely missed the turning,  Fortunately The Admiral was at hand to mildly point out my navigational error - it's amazing what she can do with a pointy stick, most people would call it torture, she calls it motivation.


Getting into the harbour was no trouble at all, I guess it was because it was so early in the day.  After mooring up I went off to visit the harbour police, whilst the kids did school work and The Admiral sharpened her now blunt stick.  This is the point when I make some observations about greek bureaucracy,  however I am still in the country, not 50 metres from his office and he might be reading this blog.  I know that sounds unlikely but he must be doing something all day, because he certainly isn't doing port police work.


Later we watched one of the many ferries that run the Greek islands docking in the harbour.  It was huge, that's a full sized yacht under the 'K' and the whole entrance/exit was blocked for the 10 minutes or so he was tied up.




Post new comment